When responding to inbound offers on a domain, is it better to respond right-away or wait a day or two?

There’s been an ongoing debate in the domain industry that has been top-of-mind for me lately, so I thought I may as well pose the question to all of you. While the title of the post pretty much says it all, I may as well go into a bit more detail here.

When you get an inbound offer on a domain name I’ve found there’s two different opinions on what you should do. Some people recommend responding as quickly as possible, you have a potential sale ready to happen so you want to jump on it before they possibly pick another name.

Another school of thought recommends waiting a day or two to show the potential buyer that you aren’t eager to sell and therefore strengthening your position and helping you secure a higher price.

Of course, any time I pose a question I have to answer it, so here’s my two cents. Personally I like to respond quickly. At the end of the day I am trying to sell my domains and I want to let a potential buyer know that if they email me, I’ll get back to them right-away.

In my opinion, when it comes to sales, it’s people dealing with people, and I personally like to work with people who are responsive. While waiting a day or two might potentially give me some leverage or show that I’m not as concerned about selling the domain, I also think it could show that I’m going to be a pain in the ass to deal with, so if the buyer is looking at multiple domains, I’ll end up at the bottom of the list.

That’s my two cents but I want to hear from you. When you get an inbound offer on a domain name do you think it’s better to respond right away or leave the potential buyer hanging for a day or two?

Morgan Linton

Morgan Linton