Hello, happy Sunday, and welcome to my weekend musings. It’s like summer here in Southern California and we’re getting ready to head to the beach, but first I thought I’d let you inside my head as I like to do every week. I have been having a blast with Vine so I thought I’d share one of my Vine’s from this weekend and then dive in:
This Vine is from Whole Foods last night. Daina is a Vegan and I am a pescatarian (vegetarian who still eats fish) so Whole Foods is one of our regular spots. Now I’m not saying this is the most exciting video on the planet (okay it’s actually quite boring) but it sure is more exciting than a single photo and captures the moment!
Okay enough about Vine, here’s what’s on my mind this weekend:
- Loving .ME and .CO – While .COM is definitely my favorite TLD and where I’m making most of my purchases I am loving .ME and .CO. I focus only on premium, one-word .ME and .CO domains and have seen the liquidity in both of these TLDs increasing every month. Both of these TLDs are great for startups that want to brand around a single word but don’t yet have the budget for the .COM. At the same time, major companies are picking these as their top choice sometimes, just look at About.me or Vine.co.
- The Domain Names Sales App Rocks – I’ve been doing more domain negotiations from the beach and bed than ever before. The DNS app has made this possible and saves me a lot of time. Before I’d respond to an email, update a spreadsheet, and set a calendar event to follow-up, now it’s easy to do all of this from my phone and for free, Frank rocked it with this one!
- New Domainer Makes $80K His First Year – I got an email this weekend from a 22 year-old who started Domaining last year and brought in $80,000 in revenue his first year. Oh, and he started with only $1,500 – just shows how much potential there is in this space. For anyone that thinks they are late to the game, that’s just an excuse that will keep you out of the game.
- Parking Is Not As Dead As I Thought – I’ll be the first person to admit when I’m wrong. I’ve said many times that parking is dead, then every time I catch-up with friends who park names they tell me I’m crazy and that they’re still making good money. I guess it’s been one of those have to see it to believe it things and now I’m really seeing it. Bought an expired domain for $50 a few months ago and it’s making $1,000/month parked now. While we still generate most of our revenue from sales, for those who think parking is dead, think again.
- More Startup-related Posts Coming To MorganLinton.com – while I know that most of my readers are totally focused on Domaining, 12+ hours of my day are spent as the CTO of Fashion Metric. While I think Domaining is a great way to make money, and it is now our primary income source, my dream has always been to run a startup and now that I’m doing it I can see more than ever that this is where my true passion is. Yes, I love Domaining, but I don’t love doing it every day, sorry but I dream of startups. That being said I will always make sure that a majority of my posts on this blog are about Domaining, but since my focus is in the startup space, it’s time to add this element back to the blog.
- Getting my weekends back – last but not least, it’s nice to have my weekends back. For the last five years I’ve spent my nights and weekends building Linton Investments. Now Daina and I spend our days building Fashion Metric and our nights and weekends together, we go to the gym 4-5 days a week and spend a lot more time on the beach. Life is all about balance and I find that having a little downtime is really helping me start the week refreshed and ready to go.
Thanks for reading and as always feel free to share your weekend musings with me or comment on any of mine!