I am sitting outside on our patio looking out at the marina, it is almost completely silent except for the birds and those pesky sea lions should come around soon. This has been a very reflective week for me with the incredibly tragic events in both Boston and Texas and a funeral yesterday for the Father of a good friend.
It has really made me think about how lucky we are, most of your reading this have a roof over your head, a computer, wireless Internet, and access to clean water whenever you want. So many people in the world don’t have any of this, they can’t read this blog, in fact they can’t even use a computer, and clean drinking water would be a dream come true.
Then there are people who had all of this but lost a loved one or a limb in the tragic terrorist attack at the Boston Marathon. With all of this going on in the world it makes me want to do so much more to help others. I did a post earlier this week about How We Can Make A Difference With Our Domains and had some great feedback and suggestions from readers all over the world.
The first one of these I will be starting is Charity Landers and it will be located on CharityLanders.org. The site is not up yet and although my schedule is incredibly busy as usual, I want to donate my time to build these and put them on this site to help Domainers all over the world promote the charity of their choice on their unused domains. The first charity landing page I will be creating will be showcasing The Water School, a charity I have contributed to multiple times and that makes an incredible difference in the world.
As for some general updates on our lives, here are some things going on:
- Very busy week at Fashion Metric, this is our day and night now and it is a lot of fun. I have been migrating our eComm backend over to Magento which I’m really enjoying, a good challenge and definitely a different beast than I’ve worked with before but I am really impressed its capabilities. I did a post comparing eCommerce solutions this week that was one of my most-read posts of this year, if you’re interested in evaluating different eComm options.
- We have some great new designers coming onboard, two amazing brands from London and two from the US and are in talks with a number of others. So great to see the energy and passion these designers are putting into making their clothes.
- Enjoying my role as Chairman/Advisor at Linton Investments. It has been nice to get out of the day-to-day of Domain Investing, I am still growing the board and it is a new experience for me. Finally got around to putting up a Facebook Fanpage for Linton Investments which I invite you to Like if you want to keep up with what we’re up to.
- I am also trying-out a parking-related video course that I wrote about this week. So far I’ve been really impressed with the material in the course but not super impressed with the interface, look-and-feel, or way in which the course is presented. Still, at the end of the day it all comes down to how effective it is and as I continue to dive-into it I’ll share my experiences with all of you.
- I have been getting great feedback on my podcast interview with Ed from OzDomainer, if you haven’t listened to it yet Sunday is a great day to sit back and have a listen.
- Did I mention that I love Game Of Thrones? We didn’t start watching it until about a month ago but have caught up quickly, which is good and bad since now we’re out of episodes! I bought the book and am really enjoying reading it, amazing to see how many changes they made when adapting it to the TV show, I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys reading or who has turned into a Game Of Thrones but like me 🙂
Wow, this turned-into one heck of a long Weekend Musings and now that I’ve been talking about Game Of Thrones I think I’m going to lay out on the couch out here on the patio and read some more. Happy Sunday!