First let me say – wow! It has been an amazing year in the Domaining world. A lot has happened this year and I thought now would be the best time to review some of the highlights and give some initial thoughts on how to stay ahead of the pack in 2010. I’m going to stick to five events that I thought really stood-out in 2009. Of course there’s a lot more that happened this year but one of my big goals for the year was to stay focused…so let’s go for five!
- March 9th, 2009 – Rick Latona launches ccTLDs.com, a forum dedicated to ccTLDs
- June 16th, 2009 – Rick Latona announces partnership with Rick Schwartz and Howard Neu on the TRAFFIC shows, six shows announced for 2010 starting in Vegas
- July 13th, 2009 – Bido opens-up their platform to support multiple domain auctions per day
- September 18th, 2009 – Chef Patrick “Nipplegate” Video shocks Domainers
- November 4th, 2009 – “Halvarez” Bidding Scandal rocks the Domaining world
That’s my top five – now please feel free to share your own!
So what can we learn from these events? A lot…here are my initial thoughts:
- ccTLDs are getting bigger every year – there is a BIG future in this space – now is the time to buy!
- The TRAFFIC conferences are getting a face-lift and with it hopefully encouraging more people to attend the events and grow the industry
- Bido has made some great moves to revolutionize how we buy and sell domains online…still there are improvements to be made but off to a great start
- Some of us like nipples…others are offended by them (for the record – I like them!)
- Our industry will have its share of greed and foul-play – it is important for each of us to remain aware and do our best to make the industry a better place
That’s it folks – have a Happy New Year and please feel free to share your own list of the top five events from 2009!