Are you Selling your Domains or Waiting for your Domains to Sell?

Lately I’ve been talking to a lot of brand-new Domainers who are getting started in the industry and trying to understand why they can’t sell any of their domains. When I ask them what they are doing to sell their domains they usually mention they’ve listed the name for sale through a listing service.

That’s not selling – that is WAITING for your domains to sell. Given that Sedo sells about 0.4% of their inventory you can quickly see why just listing your domains for sales is far from actively trying to sell your domains.

Selling domain names is not a way to generate passive income – it’s sales, the real-deal, cold-calling sales that many people are afraid to do. However if you’re afraid to reach-out to people and actively sell your domains you’ll probably learn pretty quickly that your domains aren’t going to sell themselves!

This is where I find most new Domainers get turned-off. For some reason they think that selling domains means buying something that sounds catchy and then – boom – the offers will start coming-in. That’s not how it works – if you want to make money selling domains you have to take the time to actively sell!

As you all know, about 90% of my revenue comes from domain monetization, not domain sales. I’ve always been obsessed with passive income and after finding-out in 2008 that I could buy a domain for $10 that could make over $100/month I was hooked.

Now this doesn’t mean I don’t sell domains…but if I did want 90% of my income to come from selling domains I’d spend 8-hours a day doing it rather than a few hours a week like I do now.

About 1% of the domains I’ve sold have been through a listing service – the other 99% came from me cold-calling, emailing, or sending some good old snail mail to prospective buyers. In many cases I send 100 email per domain I want to sell. Yes – it’s a lot of work…but it’s sales and sales means actively working for your money!

So now it’s time to ask yourself, “Am I waiting for my domains to sell or am I selling my domains?”

Morgan Linton

Morgan Linton