One of the most common questions I get is, “How do I know which domains in my portfolio have real potential?” The first thing you need to do is to pick a path, is your business making money from developing and monetizing domains, or flipping names? You can do both but if you’re just starting out I’d recommend that you start with one and get good at that before moving onto the other.
While you can do what many people do and email your portfolio around to tons of people asking them what they think, you can also do some simply filtering yourself. This can help you increase focus and make sure you’re putting your time towards where you have the best chance of making money.
Ready to filter? Here we go!
- Run all the domains in your portfolio through Estibot, remove anything from your spreadsheet that comes out to less than $100. I’m not saying Estibot will peg domain value perfectly, but it can give you a rough idea and anything it says is worth $100 or less most likely isn’t worth much of your time.
- Take what is left and now filter out any domains whose keywords have a CPC under $0.50.
- Now, take the list that you have left and filter all the weird obscure TLDs that you’ve never sold before, the .CC’s and .MX’s, TLDs that you might be able to sell, but that have far less buyers than others.
- Now, the last step, go to Google and search for the keywords in your domain. Make sure there is at least one advertising on the side or top of the page, if not filter these out.
- Take the list you are left with and put it in order of exact-match local searches.
Simple filter and while it might take a few hours to do, it’s well worth the time because what you’ll end up with in the in is the domains that truly deserve your attention.